Hello there. My name is Oda Sonju, I'm a uk based artist and illustrator. Below you'll find examples of my latest work as well as little things in life that inspire me. Enjoy! And if you have any questions, or if you like what you see and would like to commission me for any creative purpose at all, don't hesitate to email me at:

osonju@hotmail.co.uk

All illustrations copyright C 2014 - Oda Sonju
All Rights Reserved

Sunday 8 May 2011

Today's bookcover


I'm trying to bang out the illustrations at the moment, as time is of the essence. I suppose this is giving me a real chance to properly experience the pressure of deadlines as a freelance illustrator. I've decided I'm going to attempt to create one full colour illustration per day. Yesterday it was a book cover for the sci-fi teen novel Uglies by Scott Westerfield and today it's another book cover for Going For The Record by Julie A. Swanson. This powerful novel is told from the point of view of Leah Weiczynkowski, who's in senior year of high-school and who's main ambition in life is to play football (or soccer...) in the olympics. However, after her father is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer with only a few months to live her whole world grinds to a stand still and she learns the importance of love and relationships. The book deals with the all the emotions associated with the tragedy of losing a close family member - denial, anger, grief, acceptance, love and strength - and is beautifully and authentically told through the eyes of a teenage girl. My beautiful sister posed for this, and I hope that it captures the mood of the book (although it's not quite finished yet...). Tomorrow I might have to do something light-hearted and fun, like some monster character designs or something :)

No comments:

Post a Comment